Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Quest


I have a fair amount of music. Maybe not a world-class collection, but still a lot. Something just over 600 on the shelf, organised by genre.

I've tried the ipod thing, but mine broke. Once I opened it up and discovered just how cheaply made they are, I realised that buying another one would make me feel like a stooge.

So, every time I go out, and want to bring music with me, if I'm doing some work, I have to grab a stack of CDs. Sometimes it takes a second, sometimes it takes a good 10-15 minutes.

I've noticed that there are some sections that my eyes skip over a lot more quickly than others - I'm not usually in the mood for Ryoji Ikeda, say.

In the interests of fairness, I've decided I should give my collection a proper, thorough listen. Starting from the top left (Autechre), and working down towards the bottom right (Radiohead). There is some weird stuff in the middle.

My rules are as follows:
1. I have to listen to the CDs in order, left to right, and when that's done, I hit up the box sets. Much as I'd like to do this on my radio show, that's probably not what my audience calls a good time.
2. CDs stacked on the shelves get listened to after the shelf is done, before moving on to the next shelf.
3. No skipping albums, and they have to be properly listened to - not necessarily 'eyes closed in a dark room' listening, but I have to be paying attention.
4. Anything I buy during the journey gets shelved in the appropriate place in the collection, and listened to when I get to that part. If it's in a section I've already finished, it gets listened to right away.

Each day or so I'll post updates the albums completed, and my impressions.

No comments: