Sunday, November 16, 2008

Another Day, Another CD

Glyphic - I hadn't listened to Boxcutter in ages - it's quite good. I think this is what I want Four Tet to sound like. The album may overstay its welcome a little, but the variety of textures and moods keeps it rocking. As with most critically acclaimed dubstep albums, this has very little to do with dubstep. Glyphic is definitely better than Oneric, which was a very monochromatic listen. Oneric sounds a whole lot like the little-known Jamie Liddell album Muddlin Gear.

Chris Clark - Clarence Park, Empty The Bones Of You,
Clarence Park is one of the most sunny pieces of electronica ever released - it brims with energy, and even features a sea shanty (Lord Of The Dance). If you've overlooked this - it's well worth the 30 minutes. As well as having a range of sound well outside the standard warp fare, including comandeered rave stabs and trance chords, it avoids the seriousness of anorak-IDM, without being dumb.
Chris is a strange one - for the longest time I thought that Clarence Park was a one-off, and that he had gone down the gloomy-electronica path since. Recent months have led me to re-evaluate his stuff, and I grow more impressed with what I hear. ETBOY is dark dark dark, a bit less strikingly original, but Clark has made this particular style his own. The way the beats just evaporate and leave steely pads hanging in a cloud is one of his calling cards I would say...

No comments: