Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Days 1 and 2 - Autechre

Starting this mission and starting the blog weren't totally synchronised - so today is day 3. Here's what days 1 and 2 were like:

Day 1: We're Off! Incunabula, Tri Repetae ++
This journey is off to a slow start - I don't want to burn myself out in the first week. The next couple of days involve crossing the Autechre Mountains. I have everything of theirs save Amber and some of the eps, so there are many hours of music to get through.

Incunabula - It's ok, I suppose, but quite long, and Autechre hadn't really found their voice yet.
Tri Repetae++ - 2 discs here, the album, plus the 2 eps. I hadn't been back to the album in a while, and although I like it, there are some songs with a really harsh top end. High frequency stuff. The EPs on the other hand are 100% certified fantastic, and sound quite unique in Autechre's catalogue.

Day 2: Chiastic Slide, Envane, Chicli Suite, LP5, EP7
The journey feels well and truly underway now. I can start to see the landscape of my CD collection stretching out before me, and there are definite patches that I'm looking forward to, and others which are a little daunting. It's good to be starting with Autechre, since they are unyielding. And mountainous.

Chiastic Slide - Quite nice textures, very close to background music in places. Not a highlight, but a nice listen - I guess if you're between writing two classic albums, you need a breather
Envane, Chicli Suite - These EPs are really good - they have quite different characters, and Chicli suffers a little from Autechre's unfortunate 'generative' thing, but on the whole, some great tracks here. You can hear the hip hop influence coming through on Envane, and the love of complex beats on Chicli
LP5 - Hands down my favourite Autechre album. In terms of raw sound quality, it's head and shoulders above what's come before, and it balances complexity and accessibility very well. Corc gets me every time
EP7 - Last CD of the day, I always thought this one was the most organic of Autechre's stuff. Some tracks I find my attention drifting, but then there are moments like the timpani and bells towards the end that grab me.

2 comments:

cebec said...

LP5 and EP7 are my favorites. I thought the same thing: organic. I think I hear Kyma granular synthesis on EP7.

tm said...

nice start ;)

reading this just made me go thru my own Ae collection and also reminding that i have signed copies of basscadEP & LP5!

god luck with the quest.