Saturday, November 15, 2008

End of Squarepusher, A quick run through the Jungle

Alright - 3 SP albums to go

Ultravisitor is a sprawling, messy album. It's 80 minutes long, and I'm pretty sure Tom had the 2x LP in mind. It also has sampled crowd noise. I have a huge soft spot in my heart for Ultravisitor. It has some classic melodies, some annoying wankery, some miniatures of counterpointed intent, and no matter what mood I'm in, there's always something in it which I will enjoy.

Hello Everything - Eh. I dunno. Return to the old ways, but this album lacks excitement. A few good tracks, but on the whole, not essential. I skipped Vacuum Garden, b/c it's 6 minutes of metallic drones which doesn't actually do anything.

Just A Souvenir - Prog? I just don't know. What I do know is that this album has parts that are fantastic, and parts that I want to punch myself for listening to. The worst thing is that the proggy elements are growing on me.

Alright - with AE and SP done, there's some clear sailing for the next few days. No monolithic blocks until I hit Uwe Schmidt. Continuing on the DnB/Jungle, we have Kid606s
Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You - (at 240 BPM or so) Boom Chh Diddle-iddle-uh-chhh Boom Chh Boom Chh. This album is Dumb Fun. Huge Dumb Fun, with a couple of nice mellow tracks in there somewhere.

Disclaimer: I never understood the fuss about Aphex Twin

Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album. It's nice enough. Well programmed synth strings, and the breaks really work with the music. The milkman song is still a bit...

Chosen Lords - Another nice album, but it never really stood out for me as one to drop everything for. Some of the really good tracks from the vinyl singles (Analord series) got left off, which is surprising.

No comments: