Monday, December 8, 2008

Schneider TM, DJ/Rupture, Aesop Rock, Dr Octagon

This is it for the first shelf. Pictures to follow!

Schneider TM
First album: Mouse on Marsy, but not as sophisticated. Some nice moments, but it doesn't really grab and shake one around.
Zoomer has pop songs, which are done rather well. Strange lyrics - perhaps a language thing (not in the sense of 'He can't speak English' but in the sense of 'He thinks in German'. I won't say it's essential, but it's worth a listen.
The really essential Schneider TM track, that everyone should hear, is his cover of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, which is retitled 'The Light 3000'. Check it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4UMpEHa_Ns
Dirk Dresselhaus has gone on to do some much harder stuff since, e.g., Angel, which includes one of the guys from Pan Sonic.

Now, something different
DJ\Rupture
Minesweeper Suite - Who would have thought a mix CD could be so much fun. Rupture doesn't mix these tracks as much as process them into new forms. He mixes up hiphop, dub, electronica, gabba, traditional eastern musics, what-have-you into something entirely different. The great thing about this set is that it really shows you the way that all of these different forms of musical expression are related. It's also ear-candy in the ADD-pleasing sense.
Special Gunpowder - Following the success of Minesweeper Suite, Rupture does an album of nearly entirely his own music, which is generally quite good, tho I would say the production is a bit weak in places (in the sense of the mixing). Some great digi-dancehall stuff, a weird track with Eugene from Oxbow, and some interesting folk tunes. Basically a show case of the various styles he's interested in. Not perfect, but I like it.
Low Income Tomorrowland - This is great, another mix, with some more recent stuff like grime popping up on it. The CD is 30 minutes, but contains a bunch of mp3s of a live set that adds on something in the realm of 90 minutes. Good stuff.

Aesop Rock
I can't think of much to say on either Labour or Bazooka Tooth. I like Aesop Rock's production, his lyrics, and his delivery, but I find that the albums are too long. Labour not quite so much, but Bazooka Tooth, well, I'm done with it about 40 minutes in, and there's another 30 to go... I am not the best person to comment on hip hop albums, simply because I don't listen to enough of it to really understand the genre.

But.
About Dr. Octagon I am pretty sure.

Now my helmet's on, you can't tell me I'm not in space
With the National Guard United States Enterprise
Diplomat of swing with aliens at my feet
Comin' down the rampart through beam on the street
Obsolete computes, compounds and dead sounds
As I locate intricately independent
Economic rhymer got savoury store food
In Capsule D my program is ability
For a reaction and response to a no-one
Identification Code: Unidentified
I got cosmophonic, pressed a button, changed my face
You recognised, so what? I turned invisible
Made myself clear, reappeared to you visual
Disappear again, zapped like a android
Face the fact, I fly on planets every day
My nucleus friend, prepare, I return again
My 7XL is not yet invented

Too awesome. And more PG than the rest of the album. Octagynecologist is a classic.

No comments: